Loyal toast in Australia
Gary Yates
2003-09-06 12:29:56 UTC
Please, can anybody assist?

What is the official Loyal Toast in Australia?
I believe "to Queen and Country" is British;
The Prime Minister announced that during the Queen's visit in 2000, the
toast [in the presence of the Queen] would be "The Queen and Australian
People";
The Ceremony for those accepting Australian Citizenship asks that they take
an oath of allegiance to Australia.
This Affirmation of Loyalty is

I affirm my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose democratic beliefs, I share,
whose rights and liberties, I respect,
and whose laws, I obey.

I thought that the Loyal Toast [in the absence of the Queen] was "To
Australia and its People", but some have recently queries my belief.

Can anybody advise me or at least guide me to a source with the correct
Loyal Toast.

TIA, Gary
Dave Horsfall
2003-09-09 05:54:53 UTC
Post by Gary Yates
What is the official Loyal Toast in Australia?
"Here's to the Top Sheila."

-- Dave
Yoj
2003-09-09 06:14:47 UTC
Post by Dave Horsfall
Post by Gary Yates
What is the official Loyal Toast in Australia?
"Here's to the Top Sheila."
-- Dave
LOL! I love it!

Joy
Anthony Shipley
2003-09-09 06:41:22 UTC
Post by Dave Horsfall
"Here's to the Top Sheila."
Or (for the unabridged version)
http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Scripts/TheBruces

anthony shipley
-
Military Intelligence..... still an oxymoron!
Tom Wilde
2003-09-10 00:45:48 UTC
Post by Dave Horsfall
Post by Gary Yates
What is the official Loyal Toast in Australia?
"Here's to the Top Sheila."
-- Dave
Bloody Republicans!

Off the the guillotine with the lot of ya!
--
Tom Wilde, DTM
Alpha Toastmasters Club, 3703-70
Gene Wirchenko
2003-09-10 02:11:09 UTC
Post by Dave Horsfall
Post by Gary Yates
What is the official Loyal Toast in Australia?
"Here's to the Top Sheila."
"Top" as in rank or northern hemisphere? <EG>

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko, ATM-S, CL
Member, Overlander Toastmasters (1938-21)

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
I have preferences.
You have biases.
He/She has prejudices.
Gary Yates
He/She has prejudices.
Tom Wilde
2003-09-14 12:03:14 UTC
Hi Gary,
I can only suggest you ask the office of you local Member of Parliament.
They would definitely know!
Gary
Gary Yates
2003-09-16 11:27:37 UTC
Thanks Tom,
I appreciate you sane reply; I tried that and was directed towards
Toastmasters; I'm beginning to suspect that the Loyal Toast has been
replaced by the Royal Toast; any historians around?
Tom Wilde
2003-09-16 11:42:39 UTC
Post by Gary Yates
Thanks Tom,
I appreciate you sane reply; I tried that and was directed towards
Toastmasters.

Obviously by another person who thinks all we do at Toastmasters is TOASTS.

Maybe we need to change our name. Does our organisation need a more
relevant name? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Gene Wirchenko
2003-09-17 06:11:55 UTC
Post by Tom Wilde
Post by Gary Yates
Thanks Tom,
I appreciate you sane reply; I tried that and was directed towards
Toastmasters.
Obviously by another person who thinks all we do at Toastmasters is TOASTS.
Maybe we need to change our name. Does our organisation need a more
relevant name? Does anyone have any suggestions?
TI's name is toast? We need to broaden our scope:

"Breadmasters: not just toast."

<GD&RVVF>

He/She has prejudices.
Dave Horsfall
2003-09-17 13:03:11 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
"Breadmasters: not just toast."
We can do better than that...

Toastmasters: Not just mouldy old dough[*].
Toastmasters: We're not browned off, we're just off-beat.
Toastmasters: Not your average crumb.
Toastmasters: We're hot and crusty!
Toastmasters: Browned off? Join Toastmasters, and return the wheat!
Toastmasters: Coarse and grainy, just what Granny needs.

[*] Spot the reference.

-- Dave
Eric Matto
2003-09-17 21:52:45 UTC
Canadians will know that Toastmaster is (was?) a name brand of sliced bread.
As well, both in Canada and US there is a company called Toastmaster that
makes toasters and toaster ovens.
--
Eric Matto, DTM, PDG(D30)
VPPR, Mississauga Valley TM Club #8277-60
-- Dave
Yoj
2003-09-17 23:42:51 UTC
One of my clubs is listed in the phone book as "Toastmasters of Simi
Valley". The phone number is that of my home business. I get lots of
calls wanting information about Toastmasters. Every so often I get a
call from someone who says, "Is this Toastmasters?" When I say yes,
they say, "I have a toaster that . . ."

--
Joy Gaylord, ATM, CL
Simi Valley Toastmasters, 3533-33
-- Dave
John Sleigh
2003-09-17 00:38:12 UTC
"Gary Yates" sought the correct form of a loyal toast in Australia.

It appears from a search of Australian Government official web sites,
there has been no such thing since Advance Australia Fair was adopted
as the national anthem.

This history is from "The Parliamentary handbook of the Commonwealth
of Australia. On line at
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/handbook/national_symbols/index.htm#1

==\==/==\==/==\==/==\==/==\==/==\==/==\==/==\==/
Advance Australia Fair was proclaimed as the national anthem on 19
April 1984 by the Governor-General. Non-sexist words were adopted.
Advance Australia Fair is used on all occasions other than those on
which the royal anthem or the vice-regal salute is used. Until 1974
the anthem used was God Save the Queen/King. The Whitlam Government,
following the result of a public opinion poll conducted by the
Australian Bureau of Statistics, changed the anthem to Advance
Australia Fair, except for specifically royal occasions. In January
1976, the Fraser Government reinstated the use of God Save the Queen
for royal, vice-regal, defence and loyal toast occasions. Advance
Australia Fair was played on all other official occasions.

The National Song Poll was held on 21 May 1977, at the same time as
four referendum proposals. Advance Australia Fair was the clear choice
of the voters. The Referendums and Plebiscites section of the
Parliamentary Handbook provides details of the voting in the poll. The
Minister for Administrative Services then announced that the anthem
was Advance Australia Fair. From 1985 both God Save the Queen and
Advance Australia Fair are played at the beginning of official
functions attended by the Queen or member of the royal family.

==/==\==/==\==/==\==/==\==/==\==/==\==/==\==/==\

There is also a special arrangement for the Royal Visit in 2000 noted
on the press releases on the Prime Ministers web site: at
http://www.pm.gov.au/news/media_releases/2000/anthem1003.htm

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
During the forthcoming visit of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh
the Loyal Toast at Commonwealth functions will take the form of "The
Queen and the People of Australia".

This form of Toast has been used at functions at both Government House
and Parliament House for some time and its use during the forthcoming
visit has been settled after consultation with The Queen.

Both the National Anthem "Advance Australia Fair" and the Royal Anthem
"God Save The Queen" will be used during the visit, on occasions when
The Queen herself is present.

This is in accordance with the approach laid down during the Hawke
government's term back in 1985 shortly after "Advance Australia Fair"
was proclaimed Australia's National Anthem.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

My own feeling is that the correct way is to say:

"Ladies and Gentlemen; Australia." with the response "Australia,"

however I can find no formal justification for it, although I am sure
there was such an announcement at the time of the change of anthem.

Perhaps it was too hot a potato for anyone to cast in stone at the
time, and no-one has noticed since.

John Sleigh, DTM
Sydney Australia
Gary Yates
2003-09-17 10:07:43 UTC
Tom Wilde and John Sleigh,

Thanks for the input;

Tom - The person that directed me to Toast Masters felt that this was the
best source because the organisation supports all forms of public speaking.

John - I thought the idea was a good one.
I was aware of the Prime Minister's statement / proclamation -
As I wrote before : The Ceremony for those accepting Australian Citizenship
asks that they takean oath of allegiance to Australia.

This Affirmation of Loyalty is

I affirm my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose democratic beliefs, I share,
whose rights and liberties, I respect,
and whose laws, I obey.

I thought that the Loyal Toast [in the absence of the Queen] was "To
Australia and its People", but some have recently queries my belief.
My preference is to support Australaian and Australians BUT I want to find
out the agreed toast even though I will toast Australia.
Sydney Australia
Dave Horsfall
2003-09-17 13:24:14 UTC
Post by Gary Yates
This Affirmation of Loyalty is
I affirm my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose democratic beliefs, I share,
Sometimes.
Post by Gary Yates
whose rights and liberties, I respect,
Sometimes.
Post by Gary Yates
and whose laws, I obey.
Sometimes.

Remember, at one time the qualification to be an Aussie was that you had
to be a convict :-)

Q. Have you ever been a convicted criminal?
A. I didn't know that it was still a requirement!

And remember also that Australia is probably the only country on the
planet that doesn't know the words to its own National Anthem :-)

And our favourite song is about a sheep thief who evades the law by
drowning himself.

And our national hero is a bank robber and murderer, who was hanged.

We've got the ten most venomous creatures on the planet, along with the
biggest sharks and crocodiles. And the dreaded drop-bears.

I love this country.

-- Dave
Yoj
2003-09-17 18:19:01 UTC
Post by Gary Yates
and whose laws, I obey.
Sometimes.
Remember, at one time the qualification to be an Aussie was that you had
to be a convict :-)
Q. Have you ever been a convicted criminal?
A. I didn't know that it was still a requirement!
And remember also that Australia is probably the only country on the
planet that doesn't know the words to its own National Anthem :-)
And our favourite song is about a sheep thief who evades the law by
drowning himself.
And our national hero is a bank robber and murderer, who was hanged.
We've got the ten most venomous creatures on the planet, along with the
biggest sharks and crocodiles. And the dreaded drop-bears.
I love this country.
-- Dave
So do I, and I don't even live there. Or maybe that's why. <G>

Seriously, if I were ever to leave the U.S. to move to another country,
it would be Australia.

Joy

P.S. Is the national hero you refer to Ned Kelly, by any chance? I
have a Lazy Harry CD on which one song refers to him (A Flag of our
Own).

Joy
Gene Wirchenko
2003-09-18 03:57:17 UTC
Dave Horsfall <***@ci.com.au> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Dave Horsfall
We've got the ten most venomous creatures on the planet, along with the
biggest sharks and crocodiles. And the dreaded drop-bears.
Ten, eh? It could be an interesting themed CTM.
I love this country.

He/She has prejudices.
Anthony Shipley
2003-09-18 04:08:05 UTC
Post by Dave Horsfall
We've got the ten most venomous creatures on the planet, along with the
biggest sharks and crocodiles. And the dreaded drop-bears.
And Dave's just talking about the VPEs.

anthony shipley
-
Military Intelligence..... still an oxymoron!
Tom Wilde
2003-09-18 10:54:57 UTC
Post by Dave Horsfall
We've got the ten most venomous creatures on the planet, along with the
biggest sharks and crocodiles. And the dreaded drop-bears.
Don't mention the drop-bears! Reminds me of the time new recruits at the
Singleton Army Base were told about carnivorous koala bears that would drop
out of the trees onto anyone below. The only deterrent was to smear oneself
head to toe with vegemite to repel the koalas. It was hysterical to see so
many new recruits fall for that line.
Yoj
2003-09-18 22:21:52 UTC
Post by Tom Wilde
Post by Dave Horsfall
We've got the ten most venomous creatures on the planet, along with the
biggest sharks and crocodiles. And the dreaded drop-bears.
Don't mention the drop-bears! Reminds me of the time new recruits at the
Singleton Army Base were told about carnivorous koala bears that would drop
out of the trees onto anyone below. The only deterrent was to smear oneself
head to toe with vegemite to repel the koalas. It was hysterical to see so
many new recruits fall for that line.
--
Tom Wilde, DTM
Alpha Toastmasters Club, 3703-70
ROTFL! What a waste of Vegemite! ;-)

Joy
Tom Wilde
2003-09-18 10:45:06 UTC
Post by John Sleigh
Until 1974
the anthem used was God Save the Queen/King. The Whitlam Government,
following the result of a public opinion poll conducted by the
Australian Bureau of Statistics, changed the anthem to Advance
Australia Fair, except for specifically royal occasions.
Advance Australia Fair is as wimpy as God Save the Queen is boring! Ask any
non-Australian and they will tell you that Waltzing Matilda is our most
stirring anthem, even though it is about a sheep rustler. Non-Australians
find it bemusing how we idolise our convict and criminal past. I once went
to Chicago and as we were being driven from the airport into the city, asked
the cab driver where the monument to Al Capone was. I thought he was going
to throw me out of the cab!
John Sleigh
2003-09-18 22:43:52 UTC
When, in respond to a request for information, provided information
Post by Tom Wilde
Advance Australia Fair is as wimpy as God Save the Queen is boring! Ask any
non-Australian and they will tell you that Waltzing Matilda is our most
stirring anthem, even though it is about a sheep rustler. Non-Australians
find it bemusing how we idolise our convict and criminal past. I once went
to Chicago and as we were being driven from the airport into the city, asked
the cab driver where the monument to Al Capone was. I thought he was going
to throw me out of the cab!
All of that may be right.

However, I was belatedly replying to a genuine request for information
from (probably) a non-toastmaster.

Imagine if Gary had been a visitor to your club and had been treated
the way he was.

Sure there was some interesting playful banter, but "to everything
there is a season"

The outcome may well be someone who goes away with a negative
impression of Toastmasters.

My concern is that this happens every night in many Toastmasters
clubs.

When a visitor comes, they are able to see what happens in every one
of the 10,000 clubs everywhere in the world. If the experience is
great, they coem back. If it is anything less than great, then they
may or may not.

I have met people who have been to one Toastmasters meeting and formed
a lasting negative impression.

I hope that this wasn't the case in this case.

Tom,

In relation to your comments on Advance Australia Fair, I agree. But
it is the right answer to the wrong question.

John Sleigh, DTM
Sydney Australia
Yoj
2003-09-19 01:51:20 UTC
Post by Tom Wilde
Advance Australia Fair is as wimpy as God Save the Queen is boring!
In relation to your comments on Advance Australia Fair, I agree. But
it is the right answer to the wrong question.
John Sleigh, DTM
Sydney Australia
It may be wimpy, but it's a lot easier to sing than The Star-Spangled
Banner. ;-)

Joy

Dave Horsfall
2003-09-17 12:39:19 UTC
Post by Gary Yates
I appreciate you sane reply; I tried that and was directed towards
Toastmasters; I'm beginning to suspect that the Loyal Toast has been
replaced by the Royal Toast; any historians around?
Well, if I was to royally toast someone, I don't think they'd enjoy the
experience.

-- Dave
Yoj
2003-09-17 18:16:16 UTC
Post by Dave Horsfall
Post by Gary Yates
I appreciate you sane reply; I tried that and was directed towards
Toastmasters; I'm beginning to suspect that the Loyal Toast has been
replaced by the Royal Toast; any historians around?
Well, if I was to royally toast someone, I don't think they'd enjoy the
experience.
-- Dave
Did you say toast or roast? <G>

Joy