Loyal toast in Australia
Gary Yates
2003-09-18 17:58:00 UTC
Well Done Fellas!
Gary
Gene Wirchenko
2003-09-18 03:57:17 UTC
Dave Horsfall <***@ci.com.au> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Dave Horsfall
We've got the ten most venomous creatures on the planet, along with the
biggest sharks and crocodiles. And the dreaded drop-bears.
Ten, eh? It could be an interesting themed CTM.
Post by Dave Horsfall
I love this country.
Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko, ATM-S, CL
Member, Overlander Toastmasters (1938-21)

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
I have preferences.
You have biases.
He/She has prejudices.
Anthony Shipley
2003-09-18 04:08:05 UTC
Post by Dave Horsfall
We've got the ten most venomous creatures on the planet, along with the
biggest sharks and crocodiles. And the dreaded drop-bears.
And Dave's just talking about the VPEs.

anthony shipley
-
Military Intelligence..... still an oxymoron!
Tom Wilde
2003-09-19 01:45:06 UTC
Post by John Sleigh
Until 1974
the anthem used was God Save the Queen/King. The Whitlam Government,
following the result of a public opinion poll conducted by the
Australian Bureau of Statistics, changed the anthem to Advance
Australia Fair, except for specifically royal occasions.
Advance Australia Fair is as wimpy as God Save the Queen is boring! Ask any
non-Australian and they will tell you that Waltzing Matilda is our most
stirring anthem, even though it is about a sheep rustler. Non-Australians
find it bemusing how we idolise our convict and criminal past. I once went
to Chicago and as we were being driven from the airport into the city, asked
the cab driver where the monument to Al Capone was. I thought he was going
to throw me out of the cab!
--
Tom Wilde, DTM
Alpha Toastmasters Club, 3703-70
Tom Wilde
2003-09-19 01:54:57 UTC
Post by Dave Horsfall
We've got the ten most venomous creatures on the planet, along with the
biggest sharks and crocodiles. And the dreaded drop-bears.
Don't mention the drop-bears! Reminds me of the time new recruits at the
Singleton Army Base were told about carnivorous koala bears that would drop
out of the trees onto anyone below. The only deterrent was to smear oneself
head to toe with vegemite to repel the koalas. It was hysterical to see so
many new recruits fall for that line.
Yoj
2003-09-18 22:21:52 UTC
Post by Tom Wilde
Post by Dave Horsfall
We've got the ten most venomous creatures on the planet, along with the
biggest sharks and crocodiles. And the dreaded drop-bears.
Don't mention the drop-bears! Reminds me of the time new recruits at the
Singleton Army Base were told about carnivorous koala bears that would drop
out of the trees onto anyone below. The only deterrent was to smear oneself
head to toe with vegemite to repel the koalas. It was hysterical to see so
many new recruits fall for that line.
--
Tom Wilde, DTM
Alpha Toastmasters Club, 3703-70
ROTFL! What a waste of Vegemite! ;-)

Joy
John Sleigh
2003-09-18 22:43:53 UTC
When, in respond to a request for information, provided information
Post by Tom Wilde
Advance Australia Fair is as wimpy as God Save the Queen is boring! Ask any
non-Australian and they will tell you that Waltzing Matilda is our most
stirring anthem, even though it is about a sheep rustler. Non-Australians
find it bemusing how we idolise our convict and criminal past. I once went
to Chicago and as we were being driven from the airport into the city, asked
the cab driver where the monument to Al Capone was. I thought he was going
to throw me out of the cab!
All of that may be right.

However, I was belatedly replying to a genuine request for information
from (probably) a non-toastmaster.

Imagine if Gary had been a visitor to your club and had been treated
the way he was.

Sure there was some interesting playful banter, but "to everything
there is a season"

The outcome may well be someone who goes away with a negative
impression of Toastmasters.

My concern is that this happens every night in many Toastmasters
clubs.

When a visitor comes, they are able to see what happens in every one
of the 10,000 clubs everywhere in the world. If the experience is
great, they coem back. If it is anything less than great, then they
may or may not.

I have met people who have been to one Toastmasters meeting and formed
a lasting negative impression.

I hope that this wasn't the case in this case.

Tom,

In relation to your comments on Advance Australia Fair, I agree. But
it is the right answer to the wrong question.

John Sleigh, DTM
Sydney Australia
Yoj
2003-09-19 01:51:20 UTC
Post by Tom Wilde
Advance Australia Fair is as wimpy as God Save the Queen is boring!
In relation to your comments on Advance Australia Fair, I agree. But
it is the right answer to the wrong question.
John Sleigh, DTM
Sydney Australia
It may be wimpy, but it's a lot easier to sing than The Star-Spangled
Banner. ;-)

Joy

Page 2 of 2