Keeping Toastmasters Club members or replacing those who leave--how has this been addressed?
RICHARD MJR HAYS
2008-02-29 21:25:50 UTC
I have a request for this NEWSGROUP CROWD. My home Edgewood Toastmasters
group(http://edgewood.freetoasthost.com/ )has been experiencing the above
referenced problem. No doubt many of you have had that happen in your Clubs
as well. If so, what have you done and how has this problem been addressed?
I'd love to see/hear your solutions.

Richard M. Hays, Jr(Rick) ATM-B, CL
Edgewood Toastmasters Club President
--
Rick Hays (Richard M. Hays, Jr. and 'Rick from Mt. Washington')
1-412-512-9564 cell phone

"Sometimes I do wake up in the mornings and feel like I've just had the most
incredible dream. I dreamt my life." Sir Richard Branson

"We may affirm absolutely that nothing great in the world has been
accomplished without passion." Georg Hegel
Librarygurl
2008-03-01 17:12:30 UTC
Hi Richard,
My club is just coming out of a few years of low membership. We have,
for the first time in 4 years, hit close to the ideal number 20 for
our membership. Over the past few years we have hit the low of 11
(with most inactive). This situation requires leadership with a
vision and a plan. I am president this year and I set a vision that
all my officers were happy to get behind. I also had a plan to focus
on the members goals rather than the club. Each of us set one
leadership and one educational goal for the year (manual/award) and we
have asked each new member to do the same. All our new members are
working to complete their CCs and CLs by the end of the year. We have
a mentor program that all of us participate in. We did not wait for
requests for a mentor or offers to be a member. Our VP Ed pairs as
she wishes. She does ask us if this is OK, but nobody has turned her
down yet.
Our PR campaigns are simple- press releases to newspapers (each month
we change the release a little); brochures left in offices; magazines
left in doctors offices; flyers around the towns we support. Our goal
is to sell the club once someone comes to meetings. Our VP of
Membership is a chatty, fun guy who really enjoys talking with people
to find out why they have come and how we can support them. We got
postcards from Vista Print and every guest gets one sent to them.
Our meetings are what seem to be attracting most new people. We have
fun at our meetings. I feel that protocol is pointless if the
membership isn't enjoying their meetings. We allow some cross talk,
except when a prepared speaker is at the lectern. The more we laugh,
the better our guests have responded. This has also kept our members
coming to our meetings and sticking with the club.
The key has been knowing what we want, letting each of us do our part
to get us there and to provide support for each other when needed.
p c
2008-03-02 13:52:42 UTC
Post by RICHARD MJR HAYS
I have a request for this NEWSGROUP CROWD. My home Edgewood Toastmasters
group(http://edgewood.freetoasthost.com/ )has been experiencing the above
referenced problem. No doubt many of you have had that happen in your Clubs
as well. If so, what have you done and how has this problem been addressed?
I'd love to see/hear your solutions.
Richard M. Hays, Jr(Rick) ATM-B, CL
Edgewood Toastmasters Club President
It requires leadership from the club officers. Get them in a room and
come up with a plan and execute it. Ask members to help.

Trying something is better than doing nothing.

Remember that it will take time, months or even a year.

Don't cancel meetings and stick to the agenda regarless how many attend.

Regardas.
..PC
Why join a no-fee speakers bureau? Find out at:
http://www.finespeakers.com/speaker-inquire.html
RICHARD MJR HAYS
2008-03-08 22:37:23 UTC
Thanks to both posters for their excellent and wonderful recommendations. I
wrote them individually and wanted to express gratitude here too. Any others
who wish to share/add their 2 cents on this topic, please do so. I'll check
back at a later date for more great suggestions.